Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 10:01 AM
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] Water Birth Film.

Hi Mary

I have a copy of the “Born in Water” video as well and the couples in my groups enjoy watching it – it is very gentle and inspiring for them.

The most recent time I watched it was with 2 dear friends Victoria (soon to go to Scotland for midwifery training) and Leah (prenatal yoga teacher) after we had a burning ceremony with the book “What to expect (to go wrong) When You’re Expecting”.

Geoff built a fire for us and we tore the book into thirds and read ridiculous nonsense from each page as we tossed it into the fire.

The disempowerment that the book creates for Australian women is extraordinary.

The description of Second stage on page 299 really sums up the tone of the book with “Up to this point, your active participation in the birth of your child has been negligible. Though you’ve undeniably taken the brunt of the abuse in the proceedings, your cervix and uterus (and baby) have done most of the work. But now that dilation is complete, your help is needed to push the baby the remainder of the way through the birth canal and out.”

The description over the next few pages continues with the acceptance of routine forceps and the benefit of episiotomy for the majority of first time mothers.

Then we watched great birth videos afterwards – “Born in Water – A Sacred Journey” was one of them. It felt good to finish our night together with such wonderful visions.

Warm hug to all

Julie

Julie Clarke CBE

Childbirth and Parenting Educator