I wonder if Tracey Curo and all the other 10-12% women who choose elective caesareans would do so if they had to pay for their 'right to choose' like has been discussed in England recently.
And I noticed too, that England has had a decrease in c/sections for the first time in many years ... strange about all that. The midwives over there seem to be being heard much more by the women, who are then making more informed choices.
As a lifetime passionate homebirth advocate I am very used to being part of a marginalised group. Isn't it scary to see normal vaginal birth be so marginalised as well....

I, too, will remember to breathe.

Sue

Excellent  footage Justine. I was disappointed with the slant of the whole
segment though. We are being presented with promotions of caesarean birth.
Misinformation, misinformation, misinformation. We know that the number of
women seeking elective caesarean births for their first birth is around 1%
(I mean truly elective i.e. by choice with no medical/obstetric reason such
as malpresentation etc.) and yet it was portrayed as being the overall c/s
rate that is, around 30%. They (some of the obstetric community, not all but
some very vocal and public ob's) are doing with c/s what plastic surgeons
have done with botox and plastic surgery for the last 10 years. It is all
about the marketplace and consumerism. Everytime we participate in their so
called debate we end up in an infomercial for obstetric care and caesaren
birth normalisation.

And you know I have no problem with women like Tracey Curo having the right
to have an elective c/s, in privacy. It is after all their bodies not mine.
Let us just not give them the space to promote it by pretending to be
participating in a public debate/discussion. Please note, I am not for
denying them the right to have their say, I am all for freedom of speech. I
don't want to debate her womanhood or mothering abilities or even her
extreme thinness. But I do not want her birth choices to become the only
options for my daughters.

We seem to be in a turf war over what will a "normal" birth look like/be and
the ever shrinking number of new mothers.

ooooh! I have to remember to breathe.

marilyn

----- Original Message ----- From: "jayne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>