Debbie
Well put and respectful!!
Denise
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2004 7:40 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] 60 minutes

Dear All

Here is what I have sent to 60 minutes:

Debbie

 "Sirs

I would like to comment on your recent story about the choice of caesarean section vs a natural birth.

At a rate of nearly 30%, the rate of caesarean sections in this country (as in many others) is way above the WHO recommended rate of 10 to 15%.
The alarming rate of caesarean sections is being addressed in many countries, as it is being realised that it is a public health issue which affects both the health of its population and is a cost to the public purse.

As an example, the National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) in the UK - the body that provides guidance in clinical matters to their National Health Service recently produced guidelines with the aim of reducing unnecessary caesarean sections.

It states (amongst other things), that maternal request "Is not on its own an indication for CS".  It sets out only six conditions where a CS should be offered to women - in the main where the mother suffers from such conditions as HIV.  The only obstetric conditions are where a baby is breech and cannot be 'turned'.

Interestingly their Reference Guide summarises the effects of CS and natural birth.  The list of possible increased effects are 15 in number - including hysterectomies, uterine rupture, not having any more children, maternal death, future stillbirths and breathing probelms for the baby.  The list of effects reduced by a section comprise only 3 - less pain around the perineum, incontinence, and prolapse.

I can empathise Vanessa Gorman's reasons for having a section - but her case is hardly 'normal'.  You may be interested to know that I too have had a baby die, and I too was offered a section if I felt that I wanted it (because of my previous  experience).  However, in may case, I felt that it would be better to go for a natural birth.  That was my choice, and so was hers.

It is important that women are provided with the correct information to enable them to make informed choices, and it concerns me that this piece did not provide a truly unbiased view.

Yours sinecerly

Debbie Slater
12 Goldfinch Avenue
Churchlands