From: simsarch
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2004 9:46 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] 60minutes

Last night I returned home from a birth of a client which resulted in an emergency c/s.  Since starting my caseload job in January this is the first of my clients whose birth has ended this way and it has left me feeling very saddened, as I know my client will really grieve for the experience of a vaginal birth. While she knows the c/s was absolutely necessary, due to quite profound fetal distress, it really annoys me that her birth experience will be pushed aside by the type of people who, from reading the lists' discussion, were reporting on 60 minutes.  So many people think there is nothing wrong with having a c/s, it is just another mode to deliver the baby, and what was being reported on 60 minutes will confirm what these people think: that it is a viable, safe way to have their baby.  My client has already been told that "at least she has a healthy baby, so what is all the fuss about" etc etc, and I feel very sorry for her as so many people cannot appreciate her sense of loss.  She is already talking about "next time" and how things may be done differently in order to achieve a vaginal birth, and I can only hope she has some understanding family and friends she can share these discussions with.
From a professional point of view, as I watched the events unfold in theatre with all the doctors and theatre staff rushing about,the bright lights, the noise, the incidental conversations, the petrified look on my client and her partners face, the thrusting of her body as the doctor was trying to get the baby's head from out of her pelvis, I was thinking to myself that some people choose this way to give birth!!!  Give me a vaginal birth anyday.