From: Jen Semple
Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2004 9:09 AM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] heel prick/Guthrie test

Regarding heel prick/Guthrie test... protocol at the hospitals I've done placements is 48 hours post-birth.  I wonder if it makes any difference whether it's done on day 2, 3, or 5?

Jen
3rd year BMid student

Kirsten Blacker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
yes, midwives do administer Vit K via intramuscular injection when that is
the plan, or more often, the hospital protocol.
The heel prick test is done on day 5 so for where I work it is done by the
visiting midwifery service

Kirsten