Hi
The Birthunit where Elle had her watrbirth is a lovely unit. I worked there
as a midwife for 3 years in the mid 90's and revisited it last year, to
catch up with my old collegue midwives. It is a private hospital. The ladies
chose midwifery led care or obstetrician led care . Yehudi Gordon is one of
the obstetricians, a lovely man who will go to great lengths to help 'his'
ladies acheive a normal birth. I've seen / assisted with so many lovely
births including breech and twin births during those 3 years. Quite a few
celebrities had their baby here including Jerry Hall just before I left. The
pools are oval shaped and hip high so the women could really submerge in
them (leaving the front of our shirts totally wet if we did have to help in
any way!). The midwives offer continuity of care by deviding themselves in
two teams, offering continuity in the antenatal, intrapartum and postnatal
period. At the time we had a birth rate of 200-300 per year, I think it's up
to 500 births per year now. Additionally  the midwives provide preperation
to parenthood classes and postnatal groups which usually start with a baby
massage session so the baby are relaxed during the next hour when the mums
discuss any issuses that are worrying them. This I would really love to
duplicate here in NSW as I feel postnatal support is very fragmented and
hard to find. Some women still attended these sessions when their child was
nearly a year old! As a midwife working on this unit I could have been able
to birth there (for free) but I wanted a home birth, which I had in London.
A great experience, and having been labled an elderly primip  at the age of
35 I felt very empowered. I did try to have a waterbirth at home with my
third but the pool was only about 10cm full when I started pushing, so I
never got in. Oh well at least it kept Steve and my mum busy. . .
Justine, we are at the brink of introducing  a model of continuity of care
at Campbelltown hospital. I've written a proposal which has been oked by the
management and now needs to be oked at the area meeting on the 7th of July.
I'm so excited, it has taken us two years to get this far! Keep your fingers
crossed for us!
Geesje McGuire