Dear All,

I hope that I have not given the impression that as an osteopath I do not
believe women can birth normally.  I encourage women to believe in
themselves and to find the support networks they require to help them
understand the physiology of birth and how to achieve their desired birth
outcomes.

Most women I see who are pregnant are suffering form pain.  Commonly back
pain or pubic symphysis pain.  The treatment helps to relieve them of their
pain and helps to enure good pelvic mechanics for the birth.

I don't believe that women are made to believe that they need treatment to
help them through the pregnancy and labour.  However, back pain is a major
problem with our society, with approximately 1 in 3 everyday people having
at least a week off work due to back pain, during their working life.  Back
pain is very common during pregnancy and treatment can help.  A vast
majority of back pain either during pregnancy or not, is related to altered
functioning of the mechanics of the body.  This can be due to previous
accidents, posture, obesity etc.  Treatment can help relieve restrictions
and help the body adjust to the changes during pregnancy.  This will also
hopefully aid the pelvic mechanics for birth.

I must stress that any internal exam or treatment of pregnant women is not a
common, nor the only treatment an osteopath will provide.  I posted the
question not to upset people, and not to insinuate that women are unable to
birth by themselves, but to try and benefit from the large experience base
of people on the list.  I believe that collating all the different
information and views is beneficial in determining treatment plans.

I do not have the direct reference here, but I know that the some of the
first osteopathic research done in around 1900 was comparing lengths of
labour in women who had had osteopathic treatment and those that had not.
The research found that women who had osteopathic treatment had shorter
labours.  I am currently trying to locate another research article that
addressed the same issue.

I think that good osteopathic care during pregnancy, is more than the
treatment.  I also try to educate patients about birth physiology.  As part
of my course we had a days lecture with Michael Odent.  I have also done
reading on the subject.  I would like to think that I can be part of a team
of people that pregnant women can receive help from.

I hope that I have not offended anyone with my views.  I do appreciate
everyone's feedback as it gives me greater understanding to share with my
patients.

Thanks for reading
Simone