I agree it is probably a large succenturiate lobe.

I have seen only 2 placenta’s like this.

One was only discovered in retrospect after a straight forward birthing process.

The other had heavy bleeding and it was a bit confusing because although the midwife easily felt the placenta below the cervix it was still not being birthed. The woman was also experiencing a lot of pain (first birth for this mother). The midwife did attempted to assist the birth of the placenta, believing that it had separated and was being held up at the cervix, with gentle cord traction, but it did not come easily. Some Syntocinon and controlled cord traction did help the placenta birth but it was still difficult, with more cord traction than ‘usual’ (remembering that we are used to physiological 3rd stage) and severe pain for the birthing woman: it was very odd. Only on looking at the placenta did we get any explanation of what was happening. I think that one lobe of the placenta was sitting in the cervix causing the pain whilst the rest was not separated causing bleeding.

This is of course the worry that the placenta is less likely to separate in one nice clean action and so bleeding is probably something to be alert for and therefore a increased risk of PPH.

Despite this 2nd experience I would probably not give routine Syntocinon (I would have it drawn up) but would use the watch closely and act quickly if my head, heart or gut alerted me.

Sally Westbury

Homebirth Midwife

"It takes courage to remain a true advocate for women, challenging authority and sacrificing social and professional acceptance. It takes courage for a woman to choose a caregiver who will truly advocate for and empower her."    -Judy Slome Cohain