and what about all the history prior to white settlement?
Kirsten
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2004 6:49 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] midwifery heritage??

Dear Dierdre
The non existance of midwifery as speperate to nursing and medicine in Australia is part of the myth and misinformation.

The subjugation is only since the Nurses Acts and biulding of hospitals post WW2 and as such radiated out from them in the cities.

My mother and all her 12 cousins were born at home in the 20's and 30's with a local midwife in the western suburbs of Sydney.
And though my mother had a us in hosopital she rembers midwives as those who tried to dispe her fears at Crown St in the 50's
Denise Hynd

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world.  For, indeed, they are the only ones who ever have."
Margaret Mead