I totally agree with all you have said Honey. Very very elegant.

marilyn

ps I have worked as a doula (in the USA)with clients who had an independent midwife but limited family available: a complimentary but different service than the midwife provides especially if she has a busy practice. And I have worked as the independent midwife with a doula in attendance at births, again almost always a positive experience (one time was a little odd but that is truly another story). Doulas and midwives working together was very common in Seattle where I trained and practiced probably because Seattle Midwifery School educates both of these types of birth attendants each with different responsibilities. It wasn't my experience that the care was fragmented or in anyway reduced. And at least in Seattle there was a tradition of fees having sliding scales as well as a state health care system that provided for each and every pregnant woman as well as recognising most complementary therapies for rebates (which is where doula care was slotted in ).
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2004 10:21 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] doula article

HI Kylie
I am a Doula (or Birth Buddy as we call ourselves) and can put you in touch with the midwifes we work with here in the public hospital in Townsville. We are welcomed by them and work well together. if that interests you email me directly [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In response to Denyse I know 1-2-1 midwifery care would be the best option, but as we do not have that yet (I am one of the many consumers here pushing for it and a birth centre currently) Doulas fill that gap and more. On average a woman here going through our hospital system can see up to 35 different midwives through the course of her pregnancy and birth. On the other hand I develop a relationship with my clients,building trust and knowing them is so important, I do not leave them when my shift is up, I stay and support throughout the length of the labour. I also know of quite a few women who have other women, support people, mothers and or doulas even when they have 1-2-1 midwifery care.  As someone else said we support the partners too, how often does a one on one widwife have time or take the time to make sure the partner has drinks and food and emotional support.
I know Andrea Robertson has written negatively about Doulas saying that our community should provide the support we need but Andrea has supported at births too she just doesn't use the word Doula when she does it.  Also often our community doesn't always provide the support we need, and in fact many of us would prefer not to ask our mother or sister into the birthing room for a variety of reasons. In my community a huge amount of people here are army based often without family or friends nearby, and the women I have supported so far have become dear and close friends. I recenlty have been volunteering for a refugee family and this woman no longer lives in a tribal situation where the women gather round her and support her so I have become her friend and  birth support person and advocate making sure she gets an interpretor when she goes for medical visits, taking the whole family to the beach for the first time in their lives, making them meals every two days since the baby has been born so that she can stick to her tradition of being pampered for the first 12 days and not overdoing it. I don't do that for profit but because i believe every woman should have that support if she wants it.

  I don't think everyone wants or needs a doula but I believe that just as having a midwife is an important option in childbirth it is wonderful to have the choice of a doula.

I'll stop raving now

Honey Acharya
Birth Buddies