Hi Kirsten and Tanya (BMid students)The future of midwifery is looking
good with students as enthusiastic as yourselves. Best wishes Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kirsten Wohlt
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2004 10:58 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] introduction

Hi Tanya!  I'm Kirsten, and I am a first year Bachelor of Midwifery
student too.  I am at Monash University in Victoria.  I have about 9
follow throughs so far, 3 who have recently had their babies and 1 due
any day now, and have so  far found it to be an amazing experience.
Even though I am explicit with these women in that I am unable and
unqualified to give them any advice, just having me there at their
doctors visits and ringing them up seems to make them so comfortable -
maybe not happy exactly, but something akin to it.  They ask my opinion
(which it is very difficult not to give, but so far so good!), and want
to tell me what is happening to them and their bodies, without me even
having to ask much.  I think all pregnant women have a kind of feeling
that they are the first in the world to have a baby - I know I felt that
way!  :)  It is a unique experience, and you can't help feeling a
peculiar pride and sense that something miraculous is going on for you,
that surely hasn't REALLY been experienced by anyone else.  So to have
someone like you or me showing care and excitement for them and their
journey just seems to reinforce to the follow through woman that she
really is special and important, and makes them want to open up and
share things and bring you into their life.  That is so inarticulate,
but I am quite happy thinking about it, so my thoughts are getting
jumbled!! :)

The doctors that I have seen with my follow throughs have been really
kind and supportive, and insist on helping me to palpate abdomens and
listen to the baby's heart either with their stethoscopes or with the
doppler.  They explain everything they do really nicely and seem keen to
involve me.  Maybe I've just been lucky.

Midwives in the hospitals have also been very positive and proactive in
explaining what they are doing and why.  While I can't actually be
involved in assisting anyone in the birth beyond being there and
bringing ice (!!), the midwives have been keen to show me the placenta
or explain how to feel for contractions, bits and pieces like that which
are all so important.

Our 2nd years who are out in the clinical environment now also report
being really well accepted by the teams of midwives they are working
with - no negative feedback at all, which I was worried about too.

I think we have made a good decision to do this course Tanya.  At a time
where midwives are in demand, a demand which will hopefully increase if
midwifery led care does get the support and promotion it deserves, I
think we will be really well placed to make a positive contribution to
many families.  Especially with the support and unofficial mentoring of
groups like this one.  Can't listen to them enough :)

Sorry that was such a long spiel!! Enjoy, enjoy!

Kirsten