Sue wrote:
" simply working as a birth support person or friend, has ended in official
complaints....  for supporting women's choices which may challenge the
obstetric opinion of the day....., they were very clear always that they
understood the choices that they were making, there was no negative outcome,
but a complaint still came my way!) This type of punitive attitude tends to
quieten you as a support person -
> it's about good patient bad patient or good support person bad support
person, and those with the 'right' attitude may survive, and those who
challenge or continue to challenge will be punished - and of course 'right'
> attitudes means supporting the obstetric opinions, not your birthing
family."

Sue, this happens to midwives in the West who, on transfer, become a support
person.  Even in a planned hospital birth, following all the rules, if there
is a negative outcome, it is still the supporting midwife's fault.  I guess
it is all about challenging the ruling power by prefering a natural drug
free birth if at all possible.  M