-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Belinda Maier
Sent: Monday, 20 September 2004 8:24 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] patient rights

she did. when the morning shift midwife came on and saw how stressed out
the
room was ( I must say I was tired and overwhelmed myself and while
trying to
support my friend while enduring the withering looks from doctors etc I
was
not very assertive about kicking them all out, I was also in as her
support
person not her primary midwife) , doctors rushing my friend and really
pushing that she was doing the wrong thing and that they had legal
advice in
to try and make her  'let them save the baby' etc she said to my friend
you
know what is going on why we want you to have a section etc when my
friend
was adamant she would not comply the midwife sent everyone  out of the
room
and we very quickly got back into the labour. She said to me later
(thank
goodness it was her who came on - she is also a friend of mine) that
when
she came into the room she could feel the weight of the tension between
the
doctors and the woman and her husband and though well if she wont have a
section then lets get on with the labour so this  child can be born. My
friend laboured well then, although tension occurred again when she kept
begging for pain relief and her husband adamantly refused on her behalf
-
but that's when I felt I got back into it myself, using all my midwifery
skills to help her get through which she did. I caught her beautiful son
few hours later who was born in a thick  coating of mec and very flat.
The
pediatrician then came in (it was actually the neonataologist who got
involved at this point and I though on no here we go again, but he
resused
the baby and then gave him to my friend to hold for ages before he took
the
baby to the nursery where all he did (and all they would consent to) was
cot
oxygen. For a nursery who stabs jabs and bottles so many babies and is a
great cause of worry and angst to me it was amazing that this baby was
really left alone so much. after twenty four hours he was better (they
worried for  while he may have mec asp but he didn't) he went ot his
mum. He
is now a healthy happy, weight gaining gorgeous breastfed baby.