> I believe all midwives and midwifery students should first ask themselves
whether or not they want support from and association with any party that
endorses a candidate who claims on national radio/print media/TV that all
lesbians are witches and should be burnt at the stake. Maybe time to tread
lightly, miriam

Hi Miriam,

I think most women on here would agree that we don't particularly agree with
all that the parties in power stand for and say etc, but what this is about
is finding support for women and birth. If they are going to be in power in
the senate, then they are one party to lobby, we have to try and work with
whatever we get when it comes to politics.
I also read that it was one of their volunteers that said that
comment......I don't know though, we don't have the TV so don't really get
all the media hype.
I also think that we can't believe everything we hear or read in the media.
That's not to say that some weirdo might say that, even though it is not the
way Jesus would act at all as he hung out with the "outcasts" of society,
but I think that in the media things are blown way out of proportion,
especially when it comes to "christians".

I believe we need all the support we can get to have the policies re: one to
one midwifery, PI, birthing options etc changed in this country. It does not
mean we have to form associations with parties, it just means gaining their
support for midwives, women and birth.

Love Abby