DUE TO THIS PARLIAMENTARY LEADER NOT BEING A MEMBER OF THE LIST
THIS MESSAGE IS FORWARD TO YOU ON HER BEHALF

Subject: RE: [ausbirthingcommunity] What the Pollies are offering Midwifery?
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 16:01:23 +0930
From: "Kanck, Sandra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Allison, Lyn (Senator)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Dear all,

I have a wonderful working relationship with midwives in South =
Australia, so I was a bit miffed to read how Justine had effectively =
dismissed the work of the Democrats on midwifery and said that a =
formally lodged preference ticket (which is required anyway under =
electoral laws) was of "particular interest", inferring that it was of =
more interest than the record and commitment of the Democrats.

Lyn Allison has spelt out our record and our policies, but I want to =
speak up for myself.

For ten years I have been the sole MP in the South Australian parliament =
pushing midwifery issues, attempting to amend legislation to recognise =
the professionalism of midwives, pushing the Government to assist =
independent midwives to obtain indemnity cover, asking questions about =
midwives access to retraining, and this year introducing a Midwives Bill =
into the parliament.

I note also (because he has included me in some of his e-mails) that =
Duncan Dean, one of the Democrat candidates in the Northern Territory, =
has made the cause of midwives one of the centrepieces of his campaign.

We've had this scare campaign about Family First - emanating from the =
Greens Party which has lots to gain by putting down the Democrats - =
going quite extensively in South Australia.  Let me assure you that =
water cannot run two ways at once.  We in South Australia will be =
getting Family First preferences, and it then becomes a physical =
impossibility for FF to get ours.

Please don't let experienced electoral manipulators scare you into =
changing your vote because you don't know how the system works.  The =
polls show that Family First will not win a single Senate seat across =
Australia.

Yours sincerely
Sandra Kanck
SA Democrats Parliamentary Leader