Enkin et al. in A Guide to Effective Care in Pregnancy
& Childbirth state:

"Routine [postnatal] Observations: Making & recording
regular measurements of Temp, pulse, bp, fundal
height,  lochia &  the various wounds that a woman may
sustain during  birth, is still common practice in the
days following birth.  The intensity of this screening
activity varies arbitrarily and depnds more on the
hospital in which a mother happens to give birth, and
on the legnth of time she spends in it, than on her
individual needs.  While it is prudent to observe
women in this way when they are known to be at
increased risk of either infection or hemorrhage, it
is difficult to justifythis as a routine for all
women."  Chapter 45, p.432

This book is available online, free, in PDF format
from www.maternitywise.org/guide

Also, have a look at WHO: Care in Normal Labour &
Birth online
http://www.who.int/reproductive-health/publications/MSM_96_24/MSM_96_24_table_of_contents.en.html

Has the OB that wants the change provided any evidence
to support his/her demands?

Jen

http://au.movies.yahoo.com