I would think a baby generally needs comping when all is not well. This can
present in a variety of ways at various times. Recently came on to special
in HDU a young woman who had birthed over night (approximately 12 hours
previously), spontaneous vaginal birth but pre-eclamptic in labour, Mg SO4
infusion etc.. Baby had birthed through mec liq but was vigorous with  good
apgars so was with mum and had "fed" on and off since the birth though not
within the first couple of hours of birth as refused at this time.

So, I assisted mum (she had lots of IV tubes etc..) with  three attachments
in the first couple of hours of my shift and became concerned as did mum
with the increasing irritability (though only when not attached well to the
breast) and slight (really very slight) jitteryness of the baby. Good temp
maintenance, resps and HR. Unable to express colostrum when assisting with
attachment. So, I recommended to mum we check baby's bsl and she agreed: 0.6
mmol  I kid you not! Double checked (sample to path)as amongst other things
baby did not seem symptomatic of such a low bsl. So baby straight to SCBU,
comps and IV dextrose. It took the rest of the day shift for baby's bsl's to
be close to 2.5mmol.

We can only hope baby is neurologically fine. Baby had not appeared to have
seizures.  This is one baby (I think)who would have benefitted from 3/24
bsl's. Mum was not GDM though had had GTT due to family hx of diabetes and
was NOT glucose impaired, normal weight at booking , baby 37+ weeks and
around 3kg, first baby, young healthy mother. The only thing not normal was
the sudden onset of pre-eclampsia in labour with really elevated lft's etc..
Despite this baby appeared to tolerate labour and birth well despite the mec
liq. In hind-sight I would say the mec liq was actually an indication of the
baby's stress and in this case would have been a reason to do 3/24 bsl's as
well as the TPR's. Would just like to add that pre-eclampsia etc.. in labour
is not necessarily a indicator as the mum and baby in the bed beside this
mum had a very similar situation just no mec liq. That baby fed and slept
all day shift and had colostrum dripping from lips and mum's nipples after
feeds.

Just wanted to say I can understand the 3/24 or similar protocols for bsl's
especially after complicated births (even if the actual birth is
"spontaneous vaginal") as sometimes the signs and symptoms can be subtle and
may be "normalised" through shift changes.  Maybe I just feel bad I didn't
rush the baby off for a bsl as soon as I came on or at least sooner than I
did!

marilyn