Warning…I am having a rant!

I have read thru the study in question and picked out some interesting things for possible discussion:

women who underwent a trial of labor were more likely to be less than 30 years of age, black, unmarried, nonobese, and in receipt of government assistance (Medicaid or Medicare), and to have a preterm delivery (delivery before 37 weeks of gestation) or a delivery at 41 or more weeks of gestation.

As mentioned by Cas from C-Aware; there doesn’t seem to be an equality of the two study groups here…as the elect cs women were not described in the same way as the vbac group.  This would lead me to believe that the support, education, sense of control or involvement of the vbac would not have been sufficient. Women who fall into the lower socio-economic bracket do have lower favourable outcomes.

There were 124 cases of uterine rupture among women who underwent a trial of labor (14 after vaginal delivery, and 110 identified at the time of cesarean section).

Interesting….usually a dehiscence would be detected after a cs is required for a non-rupture related need for surgery. (EG open up mum and there is a ‘window’)  I know the study defined rupture as different to a dehiscence but you would think that a true rupture would be identified before the time of cs. I would like clarification as to whether all 124 ruptures are true to their definition.

The rate of uterine rupture did not change significantly during the study period. The rates of rupture were 105 of 14,483 (0.7 percent) for women with a prior low transverse incision,

Australia’s  ESTIMATED 0.3% and this did not include any Perinatal deaths.

2 of 102 (2.0 percent) for those with a prior low vertical incision, and 15 of 3206 (0.5 percent) for those with an unknown type of prior incision. Two uterine ruptures were recorded in 105 women (1.9 percent) with a prior classical, inverted T, or J incision who either presented in advanced labor or refused a repeated cesarean delivery

Risks of miscarriage after an amnio not far from this stat of 1.9% but yet they get as much media attention? Are they not offered frequently?

The three maternal deaths among women who underwent a trial of labor were due to severe preeclampsia with hepatic failure, sickle cell crisis with cardiac arrest, and postpartum hemorrhage.

Would cs have helped these women?  Would not being a vbac made any difference to their outcomes?  Why would this be of importance to the outcomes of a vbac trial?

 Of the seven maternal deaths among the women who had elective repeated cesarean delivery, two could be attributed to cesarean section (one resulted from hemorrhage and the other from anesthetic complications). Of the five remaining deaths, four were caused by suspected amniotic-fluid embolism and one by aortic dissection.

I need to know what an amnio-fluid embolism is and an aortic dissection – dissection means cut doesn’t it?  Would that have anything to do with the scalpel used during the cs and if so then why wouldn’t that complication be a direct link to the cs? There was no mention of the difference between the maternal death rates of the two options by the paper.  The focus on safety is once again only addressing the baby.

Four cases occurred after the induction of labor, two occurred after augmentation, and six occurred with spontaneous labor without the use of oxytocin.

Interesting how the vbac management is not spelled out: are there fasting, time restrictions, continuity of care, use of epidurals etc.  All these things can and do impact on the outcomes of a spontaneous labour.

With regard to the observed increased frequency of term antepartum stillbirths, some of these probably occurred after 39 weeks before the onset of labor and might have been avoided by a scheduled repeated operation. Alternatively, some of this increase might be due to the encouragement by care providers of a trial of labor after the recognition of stillbirth.

Alternatively, some of this increase might be due to the encouragement by care providers of a trial of labor after the recognition of stillbirth.

Slight over site on a critical issue!

Once again there is no evidence to show that any of these women had sufficient support, education continuity of care and so forth.  We keep on studying the outcomes of vbac on labour wards in tertiary locations that have high cs rates anyway, with restrictive, unsupported care and the use the data to negate midwifery or birth centre care.

I am calling on anyone who is in the position or even thinking of embarking on research to look at outcomes of vbac from midwifery/birth centre model.  One that includes continuity of information, carer, support, education, natural active birth and then see what the outcomes are!  We need to have something to show that vbac is NOT dangerous to all: other than the tertiary medically managed ‘care’ that is studied.

We need outcomes of current vbac supportive models to be published!  If we do not act soon, the right for women to access this safe and valid option will be denied by knee-jerk reactions of hospitals after reading such sensationalist journalism backed by questionable ‘expert’ opinion.

(Abby- you thought you were the only one with a soap box! ha ha)

Also, I am very keen to have people correct or clarify for me anything that I have said. I don’t claim to be an expert and appreciate feedback even if it is correcting what I have said.  I certainly do not want to passing on opinions that are based on incorrect information or be guilty of interpreting things to suit my pre-determined beliefs…god only knows there are those who already do enough of that in public forums!!!  Not naming names!!!

Cheers Jo

---