To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2005 1:55 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Breastfeeding a premmie baby (very long) an update

Hi all,

your support and advice is great. Yes, this hospital
is VERY breastfeeding unfriendly - no lactation
consultant on site, one small side room for feeding
which is often available, in which case my follow
through woman struggles with her daughter behind a
screen in the nursery. Staff pop in every two minutes
or so to see if she's 'given up' (their words, not
mine). I was there the other day when a midwife also
said to this very determined, brave and lovely woman
'You can't force her, you know, she will win' to which
the woman replied 'i will keep trying until i win'. I
am constantly appalled by their atitude, and they make
no secret of the fact that they believe my follow
through woman's tenacity and 'bloody mindedness' about
no dummy, no bottle, demand feeding is all "my fault"
(naughty, boat rocking, pot stirring midwifery
student!!!!). On my previous advice, this woman asked
to be set up with a supply line, to be told they would
need to see if they could find one - we are still
waiting!

Babe is feeding better everyday and while this woman
is completely undermined by nursery staff I am always
there to say 'you are doing a wonderful job and you
are the expert on YOUR daughter and what she needs'. I
feel this woman believes and trusts me. I just can't
wait for the day they go home and their little one no
longer 'belongs' to the hospital.

They also asked again to see the paediatrician (he's
unavailable apparently) and have only seen a young RMO
once since their baby was transferred back to this
smaller hospital from the major tertiary centre she
was retrieved to initially for RDS.

On a bright and positive note, if any woman can
breastfeed, this woman can. She is SO determined to
reclaim this experience with her child that I believe
she's unstoppable. I will also write up this
experience in my follow through journal (submitted at
uni for assessment) and will speak to my clinical
facilitator about this (a bit tricky during summer
holidays). I really think the institutional culture of
this hospital must change to benefit women and babies
- they also wouldn't let me into theatre with her for
her CS and were even crabby about me waiting in
recovery!! ARGHH!

I have also got hold of some great research (thanks
for your links everyone) which I have printed out and
will give to my follow through woman when I see her
tomorrow (I couldn't be any less popular at this
hospital so what the hell!) I'll let you know how it
all pans out, thanks again, miriam.
Dear Miriam

This NICU and its staff (or at least those you have
encountered) seem to be
so uninformed.

Where is the informed consent and respect for
clients let alone updated
research basis to practice.

I suggest your university should encourage this
hospital to consider the
Baby Friendly Hospital Initiatve accreditation
process!!

Is a lactation consutlant on staff ?

Have any staff heard of all the research about skin
to skin care and its
benefits  particualrly for premmies??

There was a book
"Skin to Skin care; The best you can do for your
preterm baby" by Susan
Gallant (?)
but I have given away my copy

Try Nils Bergman web site
http://www.kangaroomothercare.com/

Andrea stocks Susan Langs book
Breastfeeding special babies

perhaps the parents could take some information like
a book or an article to
support their requests and educate the staff!!
I would also recommend some gentle diplomatic
assertion on the part of
yourself, your supervisors and  the parents because
my expereince is that
going along with the staff can undermine their self
confidence and
perpetuates this unprofessional situation for others
as well as your client.

Is their a patient advocate in the hospital can you
talk with them??

I realise this is difficult ask but find your supports before you attempt it and do what you can please.

If no-one challenges these situations to change they
will stay there and
continue to impact adinfnitum.

Denise Hynd

"Let us support one another, not just in philosophy
but in action, for the
sake of freedom for all women to choose exactly how
and by whom, if by
anyone, our bodies will be handled."

- Linda Hes

----- Original Message ----- From: "Miriam Hannay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>