Hi All,
I would be interested to hear from any experienced homebirth midwives how they would care for a woman who is a G10P9 if she chose to birth at home. She has had all normal, quick births so far. Would you use active management of third stage because she is a grand multip or would you still encourage a physiological third stage??
Leanne.

From: "Marilyn Kleidon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] MORE ACTIVE MANGAEMENT
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:55:56 -0800

Excellent point. I do think the 500mL definition for PPH is spurious. Having been educated by a homebirth midwifery school I have to say we were not concerned when the blood loss was less than 1000mL as most of our 3rd stages were physiological. Very occassionally we did use oxytocin for management of 3rd stage usually when the woman had a history of PPH greater than 1000mL or retained products etc.. However we were well versed in the Cochrane studies and aware of that evidence so we had a high degree of caution shall I say. We did carry 40 units of pitocin and also ergometrine both vials and tabs to births as well as herbal remedies. Syntometrine does not seem to be available in the USA at least not where I was. That being said from what i have seen here postnatally, active management really decreases the postpartum blood loss in most women. I am currently doing the extended midwifery service and visiting women in their home during the first 1 to 10 days and most seem to have almost finished bleeding by day 5, for most of the homebirth women I visited in the USA just from memory I would say they were almost finished by day 10. Both the American College of Nurse Midwives (ACNM) and the Midwives Alliance of North America (MANA) have been collecting stats for 5 to 10 years at least and must have good stats on this topic. I know it isn't Australian data but itmight be helpful.

marilyn