Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 9:08 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] newborn bath

Re NB Bathing.

For midwives we need to bear in mind the baby is covered in body fluids until after a bath. It is recommended that we observe universal precautions unitil after the baby is bathed.

For parents. Safety first. Some parents do like a 'step through'. It is good to ask first. Hospitals are intimidating and I have had mothers of 4 children ask me for a bath dem. What have we (society) done to these women? It is that general fear of 'doing it wrong', particularly in unfamiliar circumstances and on someone elses turf. I like emphasise that as long as it is safe there are no rules and regulations.

Sometimes I think we have too many policies and procedures. Some hospitals have policies or guidelines on how to manage a normal birth. Come on, midwives are educated. Same for the general public, they know how to wash themselves and  ten year olds can bath younger sibs. It is all about attitude.

Jenny
Jennifer Cameron FRCNA FACM
ProMid
Professional Midwifery Education  Service
0419 528 717