Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 3:52 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] MORE ACTIVE MANGAEMENT

Hi Leanne,

There is some evidence now (as per the ALSO course and other research) to suggest that contrary to what we were taught previously, it is the primips that are more likely to PPH not the multis and grandmultis.  I can't claim alot of homebirth experience, but my feeling would be (like Marilyn) to be well prepared but not have active management unless required.  A friend of mine had 3 homebirths with labours of 12-16 hours (OP babies, last one born direct OP) and she had physiological 3rd stages with normal blood loss.  She took raspberry leaf tea in the last few weeks, so this may have made a difference too.

Cheers
Michelle