Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 10:54 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] A wonderfully successful vbac birth this morning

I have to add a 'success' story here.
Last week we had a woman arrive in labour at 38 weeks. she had booked from the start for an elective caesar - no medical reason, just had heard too many horror stories from relatives and friends and had decided not to go there!
Hubby was totally into the idea of C/S too "all the stars have them"  ( personally I think he just wanted his play equipment undamaged!!)  I mentioned that the 'stars' also have botox and boob jobs but that didn't necessarily make it a good thing.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, the obs on duty was not the one who had agreed to her request at booking, and was not impressed at the prospect of doing a C/S at night on a public holiday, for no good reason.  I encouraged this and together we discussed the pro's and con's (mainly cons) of a C/S.  She was just having backache at this stage and no-one had done a VE. She asked if she could have an epidural, so I said , well how about having it, then seeing how the labour goes, if it doesn't go well then you can revert to plan A?  Fine, as long as she was not going to have pain, says she, hubby still not convinced but beginning to see that major abdominal surgery might not be such a great thing after all.
After the epidural was working I did a ve - guess what - 7cms and head at +2 - all with just backache!!
I told her how great she was doing and that she had obviously underestimated her own capabilities, stressed that the labour was going as well as a first labour possibly could be and that it would really be a shame to perform surgery when her body was doing it all so beautifully.
I went home praying that it wouldn't all go 'pear shaped' as they had had such a mind set not to go the vaginal route.
She birthed a few hours later and we had a good chat next day, she thanked me for encouraging her to try, said it was nowhere near as bad as she had feared.  I praised her for making such a big leap at the last minute.  she did have a gentle wrigleys forceps lift out due to probably not pushing effectively 2' to epidural, but at least it was a vaginal birth, and intact peri.  She even went as far as to say that next time she might not even want an epidural!! - I told her that she would certainly have pushed bub out by herself if she hadn't had one.
So, not a perfect birth perhaps, but a great leap of faith for one woman who had been scared into choosing elective C/S, and a much better result for her and her baby, (hubby was OK too in the end :-)
Sue