FYI

A tibetan story from 2003 of rural birth from china's perspective.  It is about as valid as their take on the 'peaceful takeover of tibet in 1951' to claim women should birth in hospitals for safety.  I guess the payment scheme to promote removal to birth in hospitals - will in part win at the end of the day.  And is reminise of what so many govt's do to herd 'women' into line - furthering their agenda to oppress and conquer.  Having just celebrated world health day - one does wonder what govt's are really doing to make every mother and child count...

For me it is crystal clear from the weekend australian (battlefield birth) that in oz we cannot afford to loose the campaign for the right of women to birth with midwives, in the setting of their choice, close to their loved ones and community - fully funded by govts across the nation.

It is going to probably get tougher in some ways from now on as the ones who wish to keep us oppressed and conquered ( the majority of govts/medicos etc) will fight tooth and nail to keep the norm.  And with the federal coalition taking over the senate from july 1 - things will get tougher.  You don't need to look any further than donations at election time to see the roots of the rot eg: www.democracy4sale.org

Across the globe, it is vital that we all stand united and support the hard work of our national and global consumer and midwifery bodies to reclaim our right to birth, parent and live as women, free from oppressive regimes, famine, war and the like.

In Australia - the women (and men, yes there are a few) who campaign for all women (in particlular the non-for-profit groups like MC) are struggling to do their unpaid work, be mothers and mother to be, and save our maternity services in areas being eroded and expand on the minimal services we do have.

Many of you may or may not know that some of our campaigners have spent thousands of dollars of their own money to do this work over the past few years.

In recognition of the work of these women & men - I ask that you all support their work in the myriad of ways this can be done.  It could be an email saying thank you, it could be an offer to cook a meal for their family, or to assist with child care.  It could be a paid invitation to speak at an area health service or conference.  These women & men need our support and if possible our funds.  In the year of world health day 'make every mother and child count' - it is essential that we support the campaigners who are working tirelessly to acheive this in australia. And who normally rely on memberships and occassionally small grants to survive.

If every person on this list considered a reasonable donation to the national consumer groups Maternity Coalition or Homebirth Australia - between World Health Day (April 7 2005) and International Midwives Day (May 5 2005) - this would provide some of the much needed assistance to maintain the energy of the campaign.

By way of clarification - these are my personal thoughts and aspirations.  At a time when it is going to be a given that many campaigners will feel the enormous pressure of govt and medico oppression that we minimise the inevitable 'burnout' and at least try to prevent this from occurring too harshly.  We must afterall recognise and respond to the need to - care for the carers - and truly make every mother & child count.

Sally-Anne (Brown)
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.