Hi List
As an academic, I hate to say that it is quite 'normal' for there to be no
coherent collection of research being done etc. It's also  a dreadful problem!
However midwifery is no different to any other field. Mostly one only  knows
about  things through professional conferences and associations or personal
networks. Last June's ARCHI conference for example  was a terrific opportunity
for finding out about developments across Australia and networking. Maybe ACMI
has taken up  collecting information but  it would still be reliant on  people
letting them know what  researchers, including postgrad  students are doing.

For anyone's interest, I  am working on staff working relationships in
maternity care settings. Three projects  are at various stages :
1. a pilot study  based on interviews across a few public units with managers
and senior obstetricians- interesting stuff on the impact of organisational
restructuring  on midwifery cultures
2. I've now completed an analysis  of the working relationships amongst staff
involved in the introduction of new team  midwifery model in a small rural
maternity unit ie team members, other ward-based staff and managers, and local
GPs-
3. Study of complex  issues in a large tertiary unit undergoing major
organisational change:  issues of mid/ob knowledge,  professional boundary
tensions, role of ob trainees, emotional dimensions. etc.

A paper from this work will  be given at ICM in July. I'm always interested in
feedback on the above issues.

 I will also return later this year to work I started on the historical
development of ACMI - it's been on hold for want of funding!
Maybe others can post details of other work in progress and a thread can be
then available?
cheers
Kerreen

Kerreen Reiger