Curiosity at hand...Was the mexican sling a side to side movement of the woman with the shawl or an up and down movement of the woman's pelvis? I too saw this at the conference but can't remember Thanks DEbbie
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 10:28 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Foetal positioning

Had an interesting situation the other day. Came on the PM shift to be with a woman who had been induced with prostin the evening before spontaneous ROM two hours later then nothing and so synt in the AM. Noted on admission by midwives that baby OP and mother resisted co operating in any suggestions to turn it because her GP had told her that the baby was all ready to go.

When I came on she was lying down complaining and resisting to move because her back was hurting to much!!!!!!!!!
I sat and watched for a couple of contractions and then said in a confidant manner oh thats easy to fix I'll run the bath.
Which I did and in she got with her sister dragging along behind reminding me that she would not be able to get out again. I reassured her that I had never had a woman who had remained in the bath for ever so it would be OK.

Once in she proceeded to relax and after a very short time began swaying with the contractions, still on her back???? but almost flat with her head in the water and feet apart but flat on the bottom.
Then she began thrusting her pelvis skyward with each contraction and it reminded me of the mexican shawl thing that we were shown at the Andrea Robertson study day recently. What was it called Andrea!!!! Anyway shortly afterwards she opened her eyes and said I'll need to push soon. Which she did and went on to have her baby with a very moulded head. Despite her resistance to all suggestions to rotatet her baby she instinctively did it her self once in the water which was deep enough to enable her to float freely.

When we were talking about it afterwards she told me that her GP had told her that there was an 80% chance she would have to have a LUSCS because her mother had had all difficult forcep births and her sister had had two LUSCS. So she had convinced herself that she just had to endure whatever until he decided to do the LUSCS??
How sad is that and talk about sabotage.

There were four generations of women in that room as the baby arrived and the three elder ones were dumb struck at the beauty of it and the was she had been encouraged to labour. We had a discussion above the little listening ears of the 4 &5 year old nieces who came in minutes after the baby arrived but had sat around all day waiting because their Mum was supporting their aunty about how they could empower those girls by the language they use to talk about birth now that they had seen how it could be done. At least those girls might have a chance.

All in all a satisfying result. but my message was really how she had used the thrusting motions in the bath to turn the OP

Andrea Quanchi