Perhaps hypnobirthing is being used to counteract the medicalization of birth.

The women that I see are women who are choosing homebirth so on many levels they are already have different views of birth than the majority. These women are diverse but in the majority are able to follow their instinctive knowledge. So I guess that my perspective is usually in supporting women to trust themselves rather than ‘stuff’.

Sally Westbury

Homebirth Midwife

"Every culture develops rituals around major transformational life events that reinforce the core beliefs of the culture.  Our culture's core beliefs relevant to birth are that technology is superior to nature and that women are inferior and untrustworthy.  Thus, our dominant maternity care systems reflect those beliefs and does its best to make them appear to be reality"  (Davis-Floyd 1992)