Actually, to go one step further, my advice is to either switch from Window$ to Linux or some other free, 'open source' but eminently better operating system, or if you *must* use Window$, use Netscape or Mozilla as your browser for mail & net.... most viruses are targetted to the programs that come bundled with Window$ - & Outlook & Internet Explorer have been known for a long time now to be *the* most virus-prone programs on the planet.... http://www.mozilla.org/ for either the entire kit, or d/load Thunderbird for email & Firefox for browsing separately...
http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/ for Netscape...
cheers
Jennifairy
(computer geek in a former life - but who hasnt had a virus - *any* virus - in over 3 years) PS - Linux is free, you can d/load it off the net, the kernel is open to all who want to play with software design (so its continually being improved), & nobody is making squillions of $$ from it; can do everything Window$ can do, & is completely *virus-free* - no spyware, no 'patches', just an unbreakable system. Worth a look.... http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=02/03/09/1727250

B & G wrote:

There is a huge Trojan virus at the present time. Despite all the
protection I have on this machine we were hit. Twice daily viral updates
and zone alarm firewall. Our account was hijacked with a sudden huge surge in usage beginning of
May which I reported to the Tech people for suggestions what to do, did
all they said but last Tuesday their 'abuse' department suspended our
account as our account was a conduit for spamming from a third party. Two days later our virus protection company -VET advised of a serious
attack affecting those that use Microsoft Outlook for their email
browser. We were instructed to download immediately the patch to deal
with this problem.
My advice is to update your viral and firewall supports.
Cheers Barb