Thankyou Ken, Andrea, and Sue for your replies.

Andrea we can't afford a home birth. I do have the maternitycoalition.org site bookmarked, it's great. What you said about the epidural with the test dose is interesting, and you've obviously seen happen all the things I'm fearing. I can be pretty assertive if I feel confident enough in what I believe, so I'm hoping that armed with lots of info & knowing what they will try to do, I'll be able to handle it & politely but firmly say "no" where I need to. Sue, thanks so much for that info re the 18 sets of homebirth twins.. I bet Ina May's stats are great too. It's a real worry about the time limit for the second baby. I want to find out what they're worried about so I can argue for more time if necessary. I wonder if having 3 kids before will make the second baby more likely to come down more quickly? Going past 38 weeks if it happens will be a worry too. I hope I just go at 37 weeks 6 days, lol.

Waiting on my reply from the head of obstetrics. Mentioned to my GP that I'd written the letter to the hospital. She gave me the name of the head of obstetrics & says he's very approachable & will see me himself, if not she'll ring him for me. She thinks I'll have no trouble getting to see someone in anaesthetics too. (She's an Ob too & used to work there until recently).

I have a detailed birth plan I'm working on, but not putting it in til I have heaps more info. Want to make it simple enough for them to refer to easily, assertive so they get the point that nothing is to be done without my consent, clear about what I want, but friendly sounding iykwim.

Will keep you posted about how it goes, glad you're interested. And any additional info gratefully received.

Yvette
(pg with monochorionic diamniotic twins due 5th Sept.)