Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2005 10:53 AM
Subject: AAP story: Abbotts private health insurance angle

Fed: Midwife groups call for govt help in securing insurance
Indemnity Midwives
By Melissa Polimeni
CANBERRA, June 15 AAP - Women are being denied childbirth
choices because the government is failing to help midwives secure
medical indemnity insurance, midwife groups say.
   Representatives of the midwives meeting in Canberra today called
on the government to step in and protect private practitioners by
helping them secure indemnity insurance and cover their services
through Medicare.
   Their call was backed by Labor and the minor parties.
   Jan Robinson of the Australian Society of Independent Midwives
said that while the government had helped doctors and other medical
professionals through an earlier insurance crisis, midwives had
been largely ignored.
   "The reality is that since we have lost our ability to access
professional indemnity insurance, a lot of our members have been
forced to quit their practices," Ms Robinson said.
   The government spent almost $600 million to resolve the doctors'
negligence insurance crisis since the near collapse of the nation's
biggest insurer, United Medical Protection (UMP), in 2002.
   The intervention helped prevent a mass walkout by doctors and
included direct subsidies to insurers to cut premium costs.
   Ms Robinson said the government should now step in to help
midwives, to give women greater childbirth choices.
   "There are many women giving birth at home unattended because
they cannot access a midwife who will care for them in a private
capacity.
   "And they do not have the trust or the faith in the hospital
system to go there and have their babies."
   But Health Minister Tony Abbott said the government could not
force insurers to provide coverage to midwives.
   "The government is aware that insurance companies won't
indemnify self-employed midwives," Mr Abbott said in a statement.
   "However, the government cannot compel insurance providers to
cover independent midwives and the government is not an insurer.
   "The governments of Western Australia, the Northern Territory
and the ACT have extended indemnity coverage to include
self-employed midwives and I would encourage the other states to
follow."
   Mr Abbott said the government was willing to help midwives
through private health insurance measures.
   "If the midwives wanted to put a proposal to the government to
have independent midwives' services covered by private health
insurance we would consider it," he said.
   Australian Democrats Leader Lyn Allison urged the government to
go further and provide Medicare numbers for midwifery services.
   "If this government is about choice it needs to fix the Medicare
schedules so that midwives can be included," Senator Allison said.
   AAP mjp/sb/jt/sd

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.