Doctors will tell you anything to get you to do what they want. Even if the risk is 1:200, isn't that pretty low anyway?  Why even consider it. I agree, the risk is 0.5%
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Stringybarkers
Sent: Saturday, 9 July 2005 10:57 AM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Risk of uterine rupture

G'day Barb,

1:200 is the equivalent of 0.5%. According to Henci Goer in “Obstetric Myths and Research Realities” the uterine rupture rate for a prior caesarean is 0.3% (1995, 42). In addition, a study by Lyndon-Rochelle, Holt, Easterling and Martin in the New England Journal of Medicine "Risk of Uterine Rupture During Labor (sic) Among Women with a Prior Caesarean Delivery" (2001, v345:3-8) gives a uterine rupture rate of 0.77% for non-induced labour and 2.45% for prostaglandin-induced labour in a study covering 20,095 women.

Interestingly, these figures are vastly below those quoted by ex-Queensland AMA Presdent Dr David Molloy who claims that the risk is between 5 and 20 percent (quoted in The Australian - 4 Feb 2005). I have written to Dr Molloy three times and he has been unable to provide me with any scientific references supporting his claim.

Has your friend weighed up the other risks from having a caesarean so that her decision is fully-informed, or simply the risks of rupture?

With best wishes,

David

David Vernon
Editor
Having a Great Birth in Australia and Men at Birth
GPO Box 2314
CANBERRA CITY ACT 2601
AUSTRALIA
Tel: 02 6230 2107