CARES SA web site is www.cares-sa.org.au

The thing that we all have to keep in mind is that the research done into vbac is all done within the medical model with no known care providers, inductions, augmentations and epidurals included and yet still the actual rates of rupture is an ESTIMATED 0.2%  Estimated because the actual events are so rare, as quoted in the actual research.  What women need to take into considerations the things that make VBAC more risky…not being educated about why she had the first section; what information and support she has for this pregnancy and birth; what constraints they are wanting to impose on her; what risks they are willing to impose on her (like the above listed); and also she needs to seriously consider the long term serious risks of repeat cs.   Women need to know that by having someone who is experienced with supporting vbac and who do not impose their own fears upon her, and if she allows herself to birth as naturally as possible the better her chances are.  The research that is out there highlights that rupture rates are extremely low, but rupture is a serious situation…just like the risk of cs are rare but serious.

The research also needs to be addressed from the point of view that it does NOT take into consideration midwifery expertise and continuous care.  There is little to no research from midwifery with vbac and what there is says that women’s chances of success are as high as 90%.  So if the conservative medical model can still have rates of rupture as low as 0.2% with all the crap that they still do to vbacs and the success rates for vbac is still 70%  then imagine how good it is with midwifery care!  Even a doula with vbac experience (if it is personal experience even better) can affect positive vbac outcomes.

Women need to get educated or just go ahead with what doctor says.  I know what type of person I am and it is not to just hand over my body, my baby and my potential mortality to someone who is only making choices that suit them – ie no REAL medical reason.  Potential litigation and laziness are not reasons to encourage women to go under the knife once again.  The long term serious risks of repeat cs are only just coming out now and we should be taking them very seriously.

Jo