Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2005 4:54 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Labour coaching techniques

Hi Lynette and others,

Thanks for your response and support, you have given me food for thought.  I am actually aware that it is more useful to keep quiet a lot of the time and feel that I am quite intuitive in this regard.  I am also aware that my job isn't to be "in charge" of the situation and do prefer to just keep in the background most of the time quietly monitoring the situation.  I find this approach encourages the partner/support person to become more involved and gives them greater satisfaction with/control over their birthing experience. It is just good to have some inspirational phrases up your sleeve to use as appropriate for the right woman at the right time and I have, over the years, heard a few and developed a few of my own, which I have thought were just that, but as I have been out of mid for some time and I value the opinions of those on this list, I thought it would be a good opportunity to ask.

Thanks again

Helen Cahill