Well said Gloria, very well said !

Brenda

To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2005 3:44 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: [ozmidwifery] Encouraging twins into a good presentation.

The risk of cord prolapse is increased with a presenting part that is NOT
cephalic, however, there is a great deal of adrenalin production obstetrics which I am dubious about. Nature does have another protection in the event of cord prolapse called Wharton's jelly in the cord. When we try to ligate the vessels after birth by tying cord tape or dental floss around it, we have to really put our whole body weight and strength into getting it tight enough to stop blood flow through those vessels EVEN WHEN THE PULSE HAS STOPPED in the
cord for many minutes.  So, although no one wants to have a cord prolapse,
and, of course, smart, prompt action should be taken, I have come to suspect
pronouncements by obstetricians about what would have happened if
____________had not occurred.  The greatest danger in cord prolapse, in my
view, is during second stage with a primip having the cord pinched between the bony pelvis and the bony head. Another extreme danger might be the pack a day (Or more) smoking mom who has a skinny umbilical cord and already compromised
baby.  I think that a big part of midwifery is educating each other and
pregnant women to look more objectively at the drama that surrounds
complications in birth and ask ourselves "is the mythology actually true".
Thanks for posting that story, Jo, because it's definately not right to just quote wonderful stories where everything turned out perfectly by just sitting
on hands.  My question that I always come down to with modern obstetrics
is "How many are killed or injured by the fear who would have lived if they had gone out and squatted in the woods somewhere?" It's a juggling act, for sure. There have been so many second twins that die or are injured in medical care and somehow those stories are buried. I think this is one of the reasons that more families in N. America are saying "The hell with it, we'll take our chances with Mother Nature and accept responsibility for the consequences."
Gloria Lemay

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lindsay & Yvette" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>