My local hospital is currently 'rewriting' thier MIPP protocol. I know this as my last client birthed there (which I knew in advance), so I went in to speak to the CMC a week or so before she birthed re. their protocols & was told that I was not to do *any* documentation apart from my own notes (as I am not an employee there). Half an hour after the baby was born I was called in to the acting DON's office to explain why I hadnt done any documentation! Obviously messy communication going on there between the PTB's, the other PTB's & staff (& not my problem), but when I asked to see the protocols covering this (a few days later) they were not to be found & I was told they are being redrafted...... I actually think this is a really important issue - because we cannot secure insurance, we cannot get 'practicing' rights (at least thats what Im being told here), so any woman I work with becomes the hospitals client upon admission, even though I have contracted with the woman to midwife her I become 'support person/doula' at the discretion of the midwife on duty at the time.... so I guess that legally, my responsibility is diminished as soon as that happens. I will of course do what I can do to maximise the experience for the woman & family (within often limited parameters), but Im guessing that if things go pear-shaped & litigation ensues, then it is the hospital & not me that will be bearing it........ I heard someone say the other day (cannot verify, can you?) that not all doctors choose to pay the insurance premiums (ie work without it).... do hospitals have written protocols requiring doctors accessing the hospital to have insurance? I dont know how your hospital works there, but here the GP's & the OB that cover 'obstetrics' are private practitioners (not employed by the hospital) whose clients go to the public hospital to birth. They obviously have the praticing rights that we MIPPs wish we had too. Andrea, I think you may find that any hospitals that did have protocols covering MIPPs & accreditation have either withdrawn or updated them after the loss of PI insurance for midwives. As has been pointed out, who actually receives the baby is really the least significant part of the process (as far as hospital legals are concerned) - & until midwives are seen as an 'as good if not better' option for women by women, (& midwives believe that too!) we'll have to keep dealing with this shite. Im very sorry that you are having to now though, & as soon as I can track down these 'redrafted' protocols I'll forward them on to you.
cheers
jennifairy

Andrea Quanchi wrote:

Brenda,
Do you work at Rosebud if so could you tell me do they have a policy for MIPP who come to the hospital with women in labour. Someone led me to believe that they do.

In fact does anybody know of anywhere that does that could get me a copy. I have been summonsed by the CEO to please explain why I acted as an accoucher for a woman when I was not there as a hospital employee. They seem to have decided that only hospital employees are to be 'allowed' to catch babies when in this establishement and I need to be able to demonstrate that there can be an agreement that non hospital employed persons such as MIPP can and should be able to do this. I know it is happening in lots of places but is it all undetected and hidden by false ( or not quite the truth) documentation as is my experience. The trouble with this is that it will eventually come back to bite you in the bum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrea Quanchi