As someone who facilitates couples' preparation for birth as part of a comprehensive 12 week course that essentially gives the dads training similar to a doula's, I see this article as addressing something that happens when dads are unprepared.

The type of birth experience doesn't seem to determine how the dad will react to it.

For example, I have a friend (no preparation that I know of) who had a straightforward, natural, 5 hour labour with a known midwife and when I asked the dad whether he enjoyed being at the birth he said, "It was like being the first person at a bus crash". And then I have dads who have prepared with me and their partner ends up having a caesarean but they know they worked together as a team and he has seen her labour amazingly and thinks she is so courageous and feels good about the experience because they did everything they could but the baby's positioning made the surgery a life-saving thing.

When dad's are at their children's birth and they have enough knowledge to truly advocate for their family as well as to help in very practical ways if needed (massage, counter-pressure, encouragement etc) there is a bonding opportunity that is very powerful. When the birth is safe and gentle and joyous and the dad can say in years to come, "I was the first one to touch you", or "I helped when you were born" this is an amazing thing for a family.

When dads have been prepared by watching beautiful birth videos that show how birth *can* be and also prepare them for what their partner may look like in the different stages of labour, when they know what the emotional signposts of labour are and what the physical signs are and what their partner needs at each of these, when they know to ask questions like "Is this procedure really necessary for our unique situation or is it just routine" and "Are mum and baby healthy? What are you afraid might happen? What choices do we have? What might happen if we just wait?", when they have an understanding of possible interventions so that they can truly make an informed choice as part of the team, when they have practised with their partner so that she is able to relax to his voice and touch, when he knows to remind his partner to take one contraction at a time, when he knows how to help his partner re-focus if needed........when he's this prepared and acting as an advocate his partner is not likely to get an episiotomy anyway, and if there are interventions he knows that they have been decided on for good reason. He has seen and inspired his partner to prepare for this birth during pregnancy, by staying healthy with excellent nutrition and exercise and learning about the birth process and he has seen her approach the birth with confidence and he has seen her labour wonderfully and he has taken part in all of this too. PTSD??? Not part of the equation. Less sexual attraction??? He is more attracted to this birthing goddess. And he has learned to make decisions for his family. And he has learned to be discerning about their medical care. And he has the support of other men who have shared this journey of preparation and realisation for the last 3 months (in the birth class).

There will always be men who don't want to bother with preparation for birth - just as there will always be women who also don't want to think about the birth until they are actually in labour. But maybe if they knew the potential this experience presents for their family, for their relationship with their partner, for their own self-growth and self-esteem... often the men get dragged along to the classes and by the end of the time they are the most vocal supporters and tell everyone they know how wonderful it is to prepare.

I know I'm an idealist but the article (which ran in the NY Times as well) doesn't do anything to inform men that there is an option to educate themselves and make the most of the empowering experience birth can be for women and their partners. I'm just trying to make a difference...one family at a time...one baby at a time...