The word obstetrician is actually derived from the Greek word for midwife "obstetrix". It means to "stand in front of" so it actually is derived from the same root as obstruct, obfuscate, obliterate, etc. Doesn't really have a connotation of right/wrong, good/bad, per se. I often think we all need to get out from in front of the woman and turn our backs toward her so we can protect her space while she gives birth perfectly fine. Apparently in elephant communities the older females surround the birthing female with their trunks pointing away from her and their large grey bums form a protective, encircling wall. That elephant mother-to-be has to push out a lot bigger baby than any human mother will ever birth. Their senior matriarchs have complete faith in their ability.
Gloria Lemay
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 12:05 PM
Subject: Re: Re: [ozmidwifery] Friend with breach baby...told CS only options.

Janet,

I'M glad I'm not the only one who feels really angry when pregnant women are repeatedly told what to do as if they don't have a brain to think or seek out info for themselves.

I do sometimes (not always) agree with that analogy of the spelling/definition of: Obstetrician = Obstruction ( just a few letters difference make sense don't they?)

Anyway, I am prepared to be really pro-active and state here that any women who want help to obtain information about breech birth or if I can help facilitate a breech birth (at home or in hospital) feel free to please contact me & I'll do my best to help.

Brenda Manning
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Janet Fraser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I completely agree, Brenda. And I think anger is reasonable response to
women being refused the right to birth their baby vaginally. Maybe if
more women got angry and said no, it would stop happening. But sObs just
keep pushing the limits and no one stands up to them so now they're
starting to section automatically for posterior babies. Then what? Next
time that woman wants to give birth, if she goes to that surgeon, or
even a different one, she'll be damaged goods and have to have more
surgery or be induced because she can't "go over." I can't tell you how
many women have asked me for help this week alone. It's truly shocking
how many women (and babies!) are being denied the basic human right of
vaginal birth. And it's truly shocking how little consumers really seem
to comprehend of how the system works and actually believe their Obs
when they tell them total crap.
OK I'm done too. For the moment!
: )
----- Original Message ----- From: brendamanning