From: diane
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 11:06 AM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Wyong

Im a midwife at Wyong just north of Gosford. We have a long established, wonderful midwifery led low risk unit with big baths in all three rooms. New unit opened in Feb this year, team model of care, and hopefully soon "case"load care also, BUT....., the unit has been closed for births and has been since May. The official spiel stated the "SHORT"!!! term closure is because of staffing issues which are not very well specified on the few occasions it has been in the media. The ED doctors who provide back up care in case of neonatal probs are the ones with staffing and industrial issues and the families of the Wyong shire are paying the price. Often that price, especially for the primips, is the obligatory CS or ventouse.
There is a lovely new postnatal unit at Wyong, with 14 single rooms for those who wish to stay.
I believe we are avoiding the Midwifery Led  terminology and are using something along the lines of Primary Maternity Care unit. We have always had obstetric cover and i believe this is to continue in those cases where transfer to Gosford is not advised

Cheers Di.

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.