Sent: Friday, September 30, 2005 11:09 AM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] FW: Making a difference

Another letter to Ms Devine.

Dear Ms Devine,
I find it hard to write to you in fear of being branded with some derogatory label. No one seems to be aware that there are many obstetricians that support this move towards evidenced based practice i.e., midwifery-led primary health care in normal childbirth. Would these doctors be labelled as 'natural childbirth zealots'? It appears you trust most the advise given by medical practitioners - perhaps you could make a few phone calls and speak to the doctors that support birth centres and midwifery models of care across Australia and see if their views differ from those of Dr Mourik. I encourage you to do this because it may help you to add some balance, not to mention depth, to the debate so far. As it stands readers have a picture of a 'band' (small group) of midwifery 'zealots' or 'nutters', who are irrationally anti-doctor intent on leading the NSW Government and women astray. The NSW government is portrayed as inherently evil or stupid or both because they are blinded to issues of women's and babies' safety by the promise of cost savings. Meanwhile we are actively encouraged to believe that the medical practitioners always provides safe and satisfying care to childbearing women. And it is without question that obstetricians are purely interested in women's safety and have absolutely no self-serving interest in this debate. The overall paternalistic message here is that...'It is for their own good that women be stopped from accessing the independent care of inadequately-trained midwives and be offered only those skills provided by the superiorly-trained obstetricians'. The irony that the 21st century message is the same as the one used by doctors in the 18-19th century to wrest away childbirth care from midwives, is not lost on many debate observers.  It also seems we wasted the 1960's in trying to stop female stereotyping - I, for one, still believe women are capable of making intelligent choices.

Ms Devine thus far don't you think this debate is a little too simplistic and superficial - even by journalistic standards? Your eagerness to report the derogatory adjectives used to describe midwives in contrast to the paucity used in reference to doctors leads me to wonder if this is an exercise in midwife-bashing?

I am hoping that you can do better than this.

Regards,

Ms Jacqueline Doolan

Senior Lecturer (Midwifery)
University of Southern Queensland