Jo, have you thought of trying a baby hammock? I used one for my second and third and did not have any problems as the baby's own movement bounces the sling and the movement puts baby back to sleep. If you lived near Mackay I would lend you one. The hammock was the best baby item I ever bought and most of my friends and family have tried it and also swear by the baby hammock. Have a look at the website. Cheers Fiona
Regards
Fiona Rumble
----- Original Message -----
From: JoFromOz
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 1:56 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Infant Sleep

Hi All...

Just wondering if any of you have any thoughts on this Q/A:
http://www.awareparenting.com/answer13.htm

The question seems to relate strongly to our situation at the moment.
Will is waking VERY often over night.  He only seems to need feeding
twice, as the other times he just semi-wakes and cries, and needs
rewrapping, and dummy back in.  I counted 18 awakenings the other night,
and I think the number came close last night.  This happens whether
co-sleeping or puting him in his cot in our room.  He seems to go to
sleep quite easily, but doesn't stay asleep.

The answer suggests not giving the dummy for sleep, but letting baby
cry-it-out, only in your arms.  It says that babies need this crying
time to release stress of the day and once it's gone, they will sleep
well (until they're hungry, of course).  If they don't get this crying
time, because the parents use rocking, dummy, wrapping, whatever to calm
them, then they need to wake often to cry, and try to release the stress.

It's all so confusing!  I hate the idea of letting him cry, whether I'm
holding him or not, especially when it's so easily fixed!

Thanks for listening!

Jo (Mum to Will, 4.5 months old)