To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 2:03 PM
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] Lotus Birth

Anne,
I wish you every success and after an extensive search not surprisingly
found little level one or two research on this. You have been given all
the sources I know - Perhaps the WHO Care of the Umbilical Cord: a
review  of the evidence may be helpful? If it should come to pass that
women are informed that lotus birth will not be performed and women
seeking this should birth elsewhere I am very concerned at how the new
Qld child safety laws could be (mis)used after this point. Fortunately
this legislation has no jurisdiction over the unborn baby but when a
lotus birth is demanded by a woman in a hospital that does not 'allow'
it,  will this then lead hospital management to threaten to envoke this
legislation, using the argument that the woman is unnecessarily putting
the child at risk of infection or salt absorption? I see this mandating
of what women can and can not choose as the  beginning of adverserial
relationships between women and health care professionals (reminiscent
of Qld woman refusing C/S and finding other hospital to access VBAC).

In Queensland we desparately need the legal debate between woman's
rights versus neonatal rights (basis of child safety law) to be played
out.

Jackie