You know our first slept thru the night at 9weeks old and while always being extremely difficult to get to sleep once asleep slept a minimum of 12 hours. We thought we were great parents (even though we had not done anything to get her to sleep that long)! Then we had number two... My partner says this child did not sleep for a full night before he was 7 years old. He is 13 now and at any time through the night you can whisper to him and he will answer you, he is such a light sleeper, afraid of the dark etc. The first 11 months he had reflux and was difficult to breastfeed (my initial let down was very fast). He cried all the time but it wasnt until his second year that sleep deprivation became a big issue. Maybe the first year caught up with us...I think the first year it was clear that he cried for a reason and i was always trying to comfort him, luckily I never felt angry towards him. My partner and i fought furiously over the next few years on who to deal with his sleep...we did a study where his oxygen levels were monitored all night and we had to watch him and write down when he moved was restless etc. My partner did this and he said he never got a chance to be bored because our son never stopped moving. His o2 levels never signficantly dropped. He was constantly trying to get into bed with us and my partner was in a mode of putting him back in his bed. This was exhausting and could be every hour or two with him then upset and having to calm him etc etc. When I fell pregnant with our third child I stood my ground and insisted our second stay in bed with us. After a few months i worked at making him welcome and set up a bed on the floor next to us, we got some sleep and life got better. i started to make him less comfy in bed, squashing him to the edge a bit so he was still welcome and had a cuddle but the bed on the floor became more comfy! Life definitely got better and my partner realised I was right (as usual!!). He is better if he is in with a sibling, have you tried putting them both in the same bed? My sister took her son when he was a small baby to a chiropractor, he was showing similar behaviour to my son, whatever the chiro did made a big difference so I would recommend a chiro or even better an osteopath just to assess your daughter (if you can afford it). I know everyone says it will get better you will end up getting sleep but at the time it doesnt feel that way. It is true though, one day you will be giving support advice to a mother remebring it rather than living it. Good luck, the main thing I regret looking back is not taking him to a chiro or osteopath and that I spent wasted years and using up my limited energy level trying to 'make' him sleep in his own bed. I really like Pinkys meditation for kids ideas also cd player and music is worth a try
Belinda

Kate &/or Nick wrote:

Can anyone point me in a direction for 3yo sleep issues?

Mine has always been a bad sleeper but she has got worse in the last year (with the transition from a cot?). Between the 2 of them (6yo, but 90% Miss 3), I would consider it a good night if I am up 4 times for 20 mins each time. Bad nights are at least every hour. I'm starting to find that by 6pm I am exhausted and far too crabby - and so are they. Going to bed isn't a problem.

Sometimes I go to the crying (last night was 7 times in one hour, plus four other blocks) but mostly it seems to have no effect. At times I don't think she even realises I'm there and I can't get through to her. Others she'll settle, but within 3 minutes, she starts again. Others she'll insist on coming to my room. Sometimes I don't go in, and she will eventually come to me.

We have a mattress on the floor right next to me, which is used every night. It usually doesn't alter the wakenings (but it makes my life a bit easier). I have slept in her room, with no effect.While my eldest was away in the school holidays (6 nights), I slept in her room, right next door to Miss 3. The last couple of nights I was only woken briefly 2-3 times a night, but that has happened in the past and wasn't enough for me to think it was anything more than a temporary aberration. It returned to normal with her sister's return - even though I slept on a mattress outside their rooms. Being close to me (and she is a definite Mummy's girl) just doesn't seem to be the solution.

The issue is coming to a head because my husband has had an amazing ability to sleep through it. He will sometimes wake at 4 or 5 to find me in tears and has no idea why - usually that I have been up all night and haven't yet been to sleep. However, for the last month, for some reason, it has been waking him. So he is at breaking point and telling me we need to do something.

I'm concerned about heading off to a sleep guru because I have no intention of locking her in her room - and that's what it will take to keep her in her room. But it won't stop the crying which I know can go on for hours (and I can't sleep through it).

The sleep discussion has focussed on infants - but what about older children? Can anyone give me ideas/point me towards something?

Many thanks

Kate

----- Original Message ----- From: "Barbara Glare & Chris Bright" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>