Dear All

Sage words Tania.

May seem corny, but I always come back to the fact that midwife means 'with
woman' so if as a midwife you are 'with' hospital policies or 'with'
pandering to Dr and non-evidence based protocols then where is the woman?

Being 'with woman' is not utopia, it is appropriate practice and the right
of every woman.

As someone very interested in politics I liken this scenario to a politician
that is hamstrung by their parties policies and so really cannot say he/she
will represent the needs of their constituents, because at the end of the
day they will only do it if it conforms to party policy!

Perhaps more midwives need to do a Barnaby Joyce and cross the floor voting
against the party for things they feel are important!!! I will never be a
midwife but as an active consumer I know all about putting it all on the
line. Women will lead the change but we also need brave midwives prepared to
back women.

JC