Nicola wrote:

Can I ask a personal question on this one? Last birth (January 2003,
Gosford Hospital Community Midwives) I was given intravenous antibiotics
automatically because I had been StrpB positive in the previous
pregnancy. I wasn't retested. I am pregnant again - will I be
automatically assumed to have Strep B again? will I be tested again? Is
it even possible to be clear now even if I have been Strep B positive in
the past or am I hoping in vain to avoid the treatment? It only bothers
me because I like to spend a LOT of labour on my hands and knees and I
found the drip in my hand very uncomfortable. If it is inevitable to
have them again, what is the best plan of action? To stay home as long
as possible? To ask for the drip in my forearm instead of the back of my
hand? Any other suggestions. I will of course talk about it with the
midwives when I book in next week, but just wondering in the meantime,
seeing the topic has come up here!

When you were GBS positive, was it a uninary or vaginal infection? Urinary is more serious because it is a systemic infection while vaginal colonisation can be transient. If it was vaginal you would be within your rights to request re testing before treatment. Of course you can decline testing and treatment if you want to. If IV antibiotics are recommended and you're OK with it you could specify that you want to cannula in your forearm rather than the back of your hand and have it bunged and covered so it's less likely to catch on stuff. You shouldn't need a fluid line as benzyl penicillin (AB of choice) can be given by IV push.

Jenny wrote:
 Many years ago I saw a baby become ill &
subsequently die of GBS pneumonia. The baby was term & perfectly welll
at birth, within an hour of birth started having apnoeic attacks and
four hours later was shocked & gravely ill.

I have seen the same, perfectly well breast feeding baby, dead six hours later from fulminating GBS meningitis. It is sobering to realise what can happen.
Monica