Hi,

Yes, there is a fabulous organisation like that in Australia.  It's volunteers advocate for the right of women in paid employment to continue to breastfeed their babies.  They have a fabulous Breastfeeding Friendly Workplace award.  You can see it here.

They also work to inform the public of their rights to breastfeed anywhere, anytime, and to change public perceptions.  They lobby politicians to support breastfeeding and educate them on the benefits of breastfeeding.

On top of all this, their volunteers run a 24 hr per day 7 day per week breastfeeding support and counselling service.

They produce excellent resources and educational programs for health professionals.

They have the most comprehensive library of brestfeeding resources in the world.

They have been hard at in for more than 40 years.

Sound like the rice ad?  You will have guessed through the web addys that it's the Australian Breastfeeding Association.  Yes, the Australian Breastfeeding Association www.breastfeeding.asn.au
Below is a piece that our breastfeeding friendly workplace co-ordinator, Sally  wrote for another list this week.  I hope it gives you a smile.

"Today I attended a forum on childcare organised by Kate Lundy, ALP Senator for the ACT.  She had invited Tania Plibersek, Opposition Spokesperson on Child and Youth Affairs to give a run down on where the childcare debate is going and to get feedback from practitioners and parents on issues of concern.

I got an opportunity to make a comment and did so from 3 perspectives - first as a newly returned employee saddened by the failure of my govt dept employer to include a childcare centre in its new buildings, secondly as a mother of a child in a community based/parent managed centre concerned at the corporatisation of childcare.  Then I put on my third hat - ABA - to mention that as someone who spends her volunteer time working to get workplaces BF friendly, I am keen to see the other half of the equation addressed - breastfeeding friendly childcare.  I let the meeting know of ABA's interest in the issue and of our failure to get funding for a pilot program to get a BF Frindly Childcare Accreditation program up and running.

As I was making this third point, Tanya Plibersek's baby (well he was big and looked 12 months plus to me - all the better!) was wheeled in by presumably a nanny, and passed to his mum, who pulled up her top and put him on the breast!  I was in the middle of saying "allowing women to combine work and breastfeeding", turned to my left, saw what was happening and added..."as Tanya is so ably doing right here...!!"  Kate Lundy, who has breastfed her babies at work in Parliament, was beaming, and the whole room just did an "aaah" type thing.  It was just gorgeous - and I couldn't have made my point better or more on cue if I had tried!!  Kate later spoke to me and was really supportive of the work we do and the ideas, so wants me to follow up with her.  Other childcare workers wanted to get more info too, so all up it was a lunch hour well spent.  And then as I left Parliament, I got to wave to the king and queen of Sweden.  Shame I had to return to the office...!!" - Sally

Barb