I never in my mind thought rooming in included shutting the door and saying see you in the morning.  I too take babies out for a few hours if the mother needs it or provide them with nurturing if they need it no matter what time of day or night.  But to have an overnight nursery for all babies or to take babies from their mothers overnight every night during their 3 -5 day stay is crazy even if they do go back for feeds.  Next thing I'll be hearing is that giving water overnight is a good way to settle them and hold them off a bit longer before the next feed!
Sorry if I come off a bit harsh, but at the end of the day it is about getting to know your new baby.
Sonja
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 11:41 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] rooming in

Bit harsh Sonja...i dont believe the great and growing practice of rooming in should completely eclipse midwives taking care of the baby for a couple of hours while the woman gets some sleep.  Many women have missed 2-3 nights sleep and have metaphorically walked up a giant mountain or run a marathon to birth their baby.  Some women still believe in the myth that they will get some rest in hsp and choose to stay there 'cause they know once they are home their normal unpaid hard work will be expected to commence.

i really believe its the least we can do for a women who chooses (or has) to be in hosp to help her get the room dark and cosy, rock her unsettled baby for her and let her have a few hours uninterrupted sleep. (breast feeding access /issues aside - sometimes they just won't quieten down - we know...for lots of other (including mysterious) reasons and the woman would like a break).
Isn't it about choice and shouldn't all women's voices be heard when those choices are being shaped - not just the loudest.

I know you may not need a nursery room as such to be able to offer the woman some relief - but i have witnessed many times midwives copping out of giving the woman the help she specifically wants citing "rooming-in policy". Women's well being and healing is strenghened by a block of decent sleep.  If we don't have time to do our jobs properly and our ratios in postnatal wards inadequate - we must keep fighting for fairer working conditions - not blaming women again.

Im all for being at home or getting back there asap - but unfortunatly our social & community supports are a long way from being universal, free and sufficient for all women to access this - yet.

Suzi