Title: Message
We do fundoscopic examination of the eyes which isn't easy, you have to be very patient for the open eyes. Barb
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Andrea Quanchi
Sent: Thursday, 1 December 2005 6:38 PM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Newborn Examination question

I had never been aware of fundoscopy until I did my Maternal and child health when we were taught to do it as a part of newborn screening. With the exception of one GP who is from the US I have never seen anyone do it (GP or midwife) but now do it as a part of my routine newborn screening. For those not aware you are looking through the opthalmascope for the presence or absence of the red reflex which indicates that the light is hitting the retina and is therfore not obstructed by congenital cataracts. Easy to do but does require an opthalmascope and a relaxed baby who will let you look in their eyes.
Andrea Q