hi i work in a tertiary institution we only test urine witht he first visit. otherwise no testing of urine same as wieght recording in pregnancy.
cheers  sharon
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2006 4:16 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] testing urine

Hi everyone,

Just a query, wondering what other places do with urine testing in pregnancy.  At the moment we are doing first visit MSU's and otherwise only testing (dipstick) if symptomatic, +/- MSU.  Recently there have been a few women admitted with pyleonephritis, one who ended up in ICU in septic shock.  So am wondering if it is worthwhile testing with each visit.  I thought that the thing with pregnancy was that women could have UTI's and be asymptomatic.

Cheers
Michelle