Hi Jayne,

Perhaps your friend could try seeing her obstetrician as an "insurance policy". Worth paying the money for in case a problem arises, but otherwise not required to do anything until a complication actually arises. An analogy I use is that paying for a doctor is like paying for house insurance. Wonderful when the roof blows off as it means and instant fix is available, but in the meantime, I don't want a roofer coming around every so often to see if he can help out with anything on the roof!

When labour starts, she can ask the midwives to call the doctor only if needed. Most doctors won't come anyway until second stage, and then only for the shortest time possible. If all is going well, your friend can ask the midwives to catch the baby, but she will have to make it clear to the doctor in advance that this might be the case. Another idea would be to hand him the camera to take the photos - keep his hands busy elsewhere!

Tell her to remember that as she is paying the bill, she is entitled to ask him to do anything (within reason!)!

Best wishes,

Andrea