Hi all

I'm a Mid student (who has finally finished all her birth requirements...yay!) and this issue has only just come up for me over the last week or two. For the first time in two years, a midwife I was working with pointed out the importance of flushing through the synto if you have given it IV, if there was no drip running to flush it through.

This obviously makes sense, because if you don't flush it, the synto will just sit in the J loop or IV line. However, I had never actually seen a midwife do this before. Over the next few days I asked a few midwives what they do, and the responses I got ranged from "Why on earth would you need to do that?" to "Yes, of course you need to flush it!"

Any thoughts on this topic?

Kylie